Amphawa Floating Market Bangkok Travel Guide / May 20, 2017
Image credit: Fabio Achilli 5 Best Floating Markets to Visit in Bangkok
Located around an hour away from Bangkok, Amphawa is the second most popular floating markets. The vibe is mostly authentic, with most visitors being exclusively Thai. This growing riverbank offers an appetizing array of seafood, hidden scenic temples and exquisite locally-produced art.
- Locally produced handicrafts, fashion and art: Browse the canal dotted with wooden-built boutiques, selling everything from exclusive handmade products, to T-shirts and handmade watercolor paintings. Their locally produced products like sweets and toys are things you can't find at other floating markets.
- Scrumptiously fresh and affordable seafood: Famous for its seafood, Amphawa does not disappoint any foodie! Nibble on fresh river prawns, or feast on some grilled fish on the bank. Squid is also a popular delicacy that should not be missed (100 baht).
- Beautiful tours to hidden temples: After your meal, take a boat ride for just 50 baht per person to continue your adventure. Sit back, relax and enjoy the splendid views of the banks. The boat will stop at multiple temples on the way. Don’t miss the Wat Bang Koong temple, that looks like it has been swallowed by a tree! This splendid discovery is an absolute must-visit, where you can pay a visit to the golden buddha inside.
- Long opening hours for a full evening of heritage: Unlike most floating markets, Amphawa is open until 8:00 pm, allowing you to sleep-in in the morning and have enough energy to enjoy the activities.
WHAT ARE ON OFFER: Local food, art, clothing, wooden handicrafts, seafood, snacks.
- Bargaining is a must!
- Ask around for different tours: you can participate in a fire-fly watching tour at night for a unique activity.
HOW TO GET THERE
From Bangkok, take the train to Victoria Monument BTS Station. Leave from exit 4 and walk towards the Minibus terminal. From there, take a minibus to Amphawa Floating Market. The journey takes around 1 hour and 15 minutes.